Elder Schupple

Elder Schupple

Monday, March 23, 2009

Luis story, first talk in church in Spanish

Wow sounds like a lot is going on over there in the states and soon to be China. Congrats Dad and Brian on the business. And ya mom I would love to see engagement pics of my friends. Congrats to Brad and Kristin for moving the wedding date up. This past week was good. I found out a little about the life of Luis. To start off, we were at their house teaching lesson 2 and asked Luis to read a little paragraph. He read it a little slow but i thought it was fine. After he finished reading, the girl hes living with (not married yet...ya.. problem) laughed and said "Hey Luis when are you going to learn how to read?" Right away Elder Aponte and I started saying how he did a fine job reading it and stuff like that but shoot I couldn't believe she would say something like that in front of us and her whole family. So after the lesson Luis walked us to the bus stop cuz it was kinda late and that area isn't very safe at that time of night. So I decided to pry a little in his life. So I started asking him how long he knew and had been living with Samantha. He said for about 3 years. So I asked him why they didn't get married. He told me its cuz she didn't trust him because he didn't know his parents and because she didn't know if he would be a loving father (they already have a kid). When I heard that I couldnt believe it cuz he is seriously one of the greatest guys I've ever met. After that he began telling me about his life. How by the time he was five years old he lived in the streets of a city in Paraguay looking in dumpsters for food and looking for work. When he became a teenager got into drugs but quit when he was sixteen. He then lied about his age to join the army and said that was one of the best times of his life cuz they fed them so much. After that he moved here when he was 19, and found a job in construction working from 6 to 6 everyday except Sunday. He met Samantha and now they have a kid. Another reason they can't get married is because his papers are still in Paraguay (he cant get baptized until they get married and its extremely difficult to get papers from Paraguay, so everyone pray for that please). So ya I could hardly believe this poor guys life> Its a miracle the drugs, when he was so young, didn't mess him up. But ya hes great and he's grateful for everything.
In other news I gave my first talk in Spanish this past Sunday. It was about getting members to help the missionaries. I thought i did a good job.
Sorry no pics this week. Next week for sure.
love you all
Elder Schupple

No comments: