Elder Schupple

Elder Schupple

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1st letter from Argentina, Elder Tingey

Hola family and friends!
OK I'm having a really hard time typing on this computer because theres a whole bunch of Spanish buttons that are not normal! Anyway yes Elder Tingey says the general authority is his dad. Hes from Idaho.... Ya enough said.....:) No he's cool except he is kind of mean sometimes. We were at the train station Friday and this little boy comes up and asks him something and he just shakes head and tells him to go away. So I asked him what he wanted and the poor kid was hungry, he just wanted a bite of his sandwich. Ya I felt way bad. I wanted to go find the kid and give him my sandwich but he was long gone. Anyway other than that hes a good elder. Well I'll just start from the beginning: I got to the country after the longest plane ride ever!!! I was sitting between Elder Jones and Elder Stienkuler, so ya i was way squished and got like an hour of sleep so that was nice. Anyway we got our bags and stuff and met Pres Asay. I met the zone and stuff and met my comp Elder Tingey. So long story short we took a long train ride to the apartment. O crap! I just restarted Elder Tingeys computer and erased his long letter to his family oops! O well! Anyway so we drop off my bags and go start teaching. We walk a lot. I have my first crack in the bottom of my shoes.
Now to answer your questions-- the answer is no i can not understand castillano. Our investigators just laugh at me when i start talking or when they ask if i understand what the are saying. So ya its kinda frustrating but that's OK I'm used to being frustrated by now. My area is called Quilmes 2. Its definitely third world. I cant believe the people live in these houses. Its crazy! But that's OK because most people are nice, or at least i think they are nice, I cant really understand them. Our living conditions are pretty good. We have one of the nicer apartments cuz we live with the zone leaders. We are supposed to have a water filter but we don't so I've been drinking regular old Argentina water so I'm prob gunna get sick soon. jk :) The food is interesting. My comp said i ate an interesting part of a cow the other day... it made me cringe. But whatever. Other than that everything is pretty good except they don't have any chips. All their snacks are cookies and all their meals are either empanadas, beef, or potatoes. But its been good. I've enjoyed it. All our investigators are from members. Clapping does not work so well but Ive done it just cuz Elder Tingey said I needed to. Im sorry i dont have my camera so I cant upload pics. But that's OK because I haven't taken many. Our area isn't the safest. Elder Tingey was robbed at gunpoint so i dont take my camera out very often but ill try to work something out. I'll probably just end up sending a cd home or something cuz we don't have enough time to upload them, it just takes to long. So ya. Ok so other news... people kiss a lot here, Ive been kissed 3 times just on the cheek luckily but ya I'm not very good at dodging them. They get ya when you turn around so ya. Oh also this country is crazy! There is a very big morality problem here. Elder Tingey had an investigator family who had a 12 year old daughter who was pregnant. Ya apparently that's pretty common here. We were doing a service project at an elementary school and there was a poster saying "kids if you're gunna have sex, use a condom...." Elementary SCHOOL!!! O my gosh i could not believe that. So ya that's the latest for now. Sorry its not more. We don't have much time, but i love you all!
Elder Schupple

No comments: